Alabama Nurses Foundation Mission and Function
The primary mission of the Alabama Nurses Foundation is to increase public knowledge and understanding of nursing and the nursing profession.
Through its functions, the ANF addresses the critical issues facing the nursing profession in Alabama today. These functions are exclusively charitable, educational, scientific and literary and are intended to increase the visibility of nursing in the state.
Nurses Make a Difference: You Can, Too
Studies document that the ratio of professional nurses at the bedside has a powerful impact on outcomes for hospitalized patients. Yet most hospitals continue to struggle to maintain the nurse-to-patient ratio at the level necessary to improve outcomes.
The current shortage of professional nurses is felt not only at the bedside, but in the classroom, where nurse educators are in great demand. Your gift to the ANF is a gift to the nursing profession, and to the patients and families served by professional nurses throughout Alabama.
Current Critical Issues
- Critical shortage of nursing faculty all over the state
- Impending critical shortage of hospital-based nurses
- Retention of nurses who are educated in Alabama
- Higher salaries for nurses in all areas
- Recruitment of qualified nurses into the nursing profession
Current Scholarships/Project Grants
Alabama Nurses Foundation Scholarships:
Helen Wilson Leadership Scholarship Application (Click Here) (Deadline March 1, 2019) This scholarship is available to any current Alabama Association of Nursing Students (AANS) members who have completed at least 12 nursing credit hours. The scholarship focus is evidence of leadership and/or community involvement. It will be given annually and will be granted at the AANS Annual Convention. The amount is $1,000. Scholarships to be awarded at FACES '19.
Academic scholarships are available to any Alabama resident enrolled in education leading to a degree in nursing. Scholarships will be granted on April 16, 2019, at the Elizabeth A. Morris Clinical Education Sessions - FACES '19.
- Alabama students pursuing an associate or baccalaureate degree in nursing are eligible. The amount is $1,000. (Click here for application)
- At least two (2) scholarships will be awarded to Alabama State Nurses Association (ASNA) members. The scholarship will be awarded based on academic performance, nursing leadership, and commitment to ASNA. The amount is $2,000 for each scholarship. (Click here for application)
- At least two (2) scholarships will be awarded to any Alabama Nurse based on academic performance, professional activities, and commitment to nursing. The amount is $2,000 for each scholarship. (Click here for application)
Alabama Nurses Foundation Community Grants Application (Click Here) - Up to four (4) different grants will be awarded each year on an ongoing basis throughout the year. The grants must address a current Alabama health issue and priority will be given for projects that support the ASNA Strategic Plan and/or resolutions adopted by the ASNA House of Delegates. The amount is $500 per grant.