General Safety Guidelines
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends the following:
Find Local Information
- Know where to find local information on COVID-19 and local trends of COVID-19 cases.
Follow Official Sources for Accurate Information
- Help control the spread of rumors. Visit FEMA’s rumor control page.
- Beware of fraud schemes related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Visit Office of Inspector General’s COVID-19 fraud alert page.
Know the Signs & Symptoms
Know the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and what to do if symptomatic:
- Stay home when you are sick
- Call your health care provider’s office in advance of a visit
- Limit movement in the community
- Limit visitors
Take Steps for Those at Higher Risk
- Know what additional measures those at higher risk and who are vulnerable should take.
Protect Yourself & Family
- Implement steps to prevent illness (e.g., stay home when sick, handwashing, respiratory etiquette, clean frequently touched surfaces daily).
Create a Household Plan
Create a household plan of action in case of illness in the household or disruption of daily activities due to COVID-19 in the community.
- Consider 2-week supply of prescription and over the counter medications, food and other essentials. Know how to get food delivered if possible.
- Establish ways to communicate with others (e.g., family, friends, co-workers).
- Establish plans to telework, what to do about childcare needs, how to adapt to cancellation of events.
Stay Informed About Emergency Plans
Know about emergency operations plans for schools/workplaces of household members.
Alabama Department of Public Health
- ADPH COVID-19 Tracking Dashboard
- Health Hot Line: 1-888-293-8888
American Heart Association
American Nurses Association
- ANA's General Guidelines
Be Confident Protecting Yourself and Providing the Best Care to Your Patients during this COVID-19 Pandemic:This important on-demand webinar focuses on the current PPE guidelines for supply optimization and how to maintain personnel safety. Register now and receive access to this online, on-demand webinar and view it anytime, anywhere. Register at https://bit.ly/2xt1rRQ
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Criteria for Return to Work for Healthcare Personnel with Confirmed or Suspected COVID-19
- Healthcare Provider Preparedness Checklist
- Hospital Preparedness Tool
- FAQs on Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control
- Prevention of Community Spread
- COVID-19 What You Need to Know
- Medscape Clinical Guidelines
- New Guidelines on Use and Reuse of PPE for COVID-19 (4/30/20)
- Step-by-Step Guide to Preventing PPE-related Skin Damage
- American Heart Association Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for CPR Training & Resuscitation
Caring for Patients with Chronic Respiratory Diseases during the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Clinical Practice Guidelines - April 2020
- CMS Recommendation for Re-Opening America
- ELNEC Support for Nurses During COVID-19
- Ethical dilemmas facing nurses during the Coronavirus Crisis: Addressing moral distress
- Multisource Daily Tracking COVID-19 Map (Created by Samford Geography Professor Jonathan Fleming)
- Prevention & Management of PPE-related Skin Damage
- WHO Educational Resources for Patients, Family & Friends