From the desk of John Ziegler, ASNA Executive Director
During a Regular Session of the Alabama Legislature, ASNA issues Alerts and Legislative Reports regarding proposed legislation that may impact patients AND/OR nursing. These items will come to you via email or social media. They will also be posted on the ASNA website at alabamanurses.org. Think of ASNA as a microphone to amplify YOUR VOICE to policy makers and people who ultimately craft the rules you abide by every day. Through membership in ASNA you CAN “SHOUT” instead of whisper. Be “at the table”- not “on the menu.”
True or False: “Nurses are Weak” Politically…
THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR. Alabama nurses are 97,000 strong…yet, often viewed as “weak” by politicians because, in spite of the massive numbers, most nurses don’t join their own (PA) professional association, ASNA. Is this political perception TRUE OR FALSE?
Here are the numbers. 65% of Doctors are members of their PA. 70% of Teachers are members of their PA. BUT, LESS THAN 2% OF NURSES JOIN THEIR OWN PA, ASNA! Nurses are the largest workforce in healthcare and the most “trusted professionals.” BUT, AS A PROFESSION…WE ARE FRAGMENTED AND BLIND TO OUR GROUP POWER. Most nurses are busy, tired and overwhelmed with family and work. At ASNA, we get that. But, even passive members – can stay informed, get group cash benefits, free legal advice and have an inside track on policies/rules that can make their practice better or harder in the future.
For members who can participate…(by phone & social media) the leadership skills, enhanced resume, networking and professional advancement opportunities are limitless. TRUE: 97,000 Alabama nurses can impact any election. TRUE: Only 2% have joined their professional org. FALSE: The person reading this can’t make a difference. TRUE: YOU CAN, by joining now…5 min…only $15/mo for ASNA/ANA joint membership at alabamanurses.org.
ISSUES AND BILL STATUS AND ACTION ITEMS: February 6, 2018
Issues on 2018 ASNA Legislative Agenda:
- Support Board of Nursing Bills introduced in 2017 that expired with end of Session
- Enforce law and raise awareness about violence against nurses in workplace
- Support rules allowing home health and hospice nurses to repackage meds in day containers
- Not in favor of independent practice and weak disclosure rules for non-nurse midwives
- Full funding for Medicaid and CHIP
- Develop a 10-year plan to increase nurses salaries in Alabama to average of SE states
- Continue to push Advance Practice Full Practice
- Other issues/Bills as they emerge during the 2018 Session
ACTION ITEMS: BILLS OF INTEREST NOW BEFORE THE ALABAMA LEGISLATURE:
Important: This is a summary of Bills and their current stage of advancement through the legislative process. Here’s how you may use this report to help you advocate with your legislator:
- Read ASNA BILL TRACKING REPORT below.
- To read a bill click this link:http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/SessBillSearchSelection.aspx Then enter the bill number in the box (HB63, SB95 or whatever you want to search) …hit “enter/return”
- If you want to contact your legislator – find the House District map at http://www.legislature.state.al.us/aliswww/House/2017_house_districts.pdf
- The House Members at http://www.legislature.state.al.us/aliswww/ISD/House/ALRepsbyDistrict.aspx Then click on the Legislator’s name for contact info.
- The Senate District Map athttp://www.legislature.state.al.us/aliswww/Senate/2017_senate_districts.pdf
- The Senate Members athttp://www.legislature.state.al.us/aliswww/ISD/Senate/ALSenatorsbyDistrict.aspx Then click on the Senator’s name for contact info.
Please send any comments or questions to John Ziegler.